How to Stay Warm in the Cold
JerseyBike’s Tips for Riding in the Winter
Friday, January 31, 2020
Contact: Mary Lynch
Are you trying to beat the cold while cycling? Here are some of JerseyBike’s carefully curated tips for staying warm while feeling cool:
- DRESS FOR SUCCESS
- Layers, layers, more layers.
- The easiest way to stay warm on a bike is to keep your core warm with layers. Layers will keep you warmer than just a jacket and will make adjusting to temperature changes easer. Choose a base layer that wicks away moisture, a thermal mid layer to retain heat, and an outer layer with windbreaker ability.
- THINK WARM THOUGHTS
- Just like the core, layers on your head are a good idea too. Start with a snug helmet and add a helmet cover. Skull caps and bandanas can be added below the helmet but be sure the helmet remains in the correct position for ultimate protection. Wearing winter hats and bulky garments under a helmet can significantly reduce the effectiveness of the helmet.
- Eating is always important to fuel up for exercise, but especially so when preparing to keep warm in cold temperatures.
- KEEP YOUR TOES WARM
- Invest in shoe covers. While layering socks can make it difficult to fit into your shoes, shoe covers are worn on the outside of the shoe. You can purchase waterproof and wind blocking fabrics to keep cold air out.
- DON’T FORGET YOUR HANDS
- Gloves can help keep hands warm but be sure to pass on mittens as they limit ability to shift and access the bell. Hand warmers inside gloves are a great way t o keep hands extra warm in frigid temps.
- BE PREPARED
- Weather can be unpredictable, and you don’t want to be left out in the cold. Always pack an extra layer to be used for surprise weather changes. Lightweight vests or windbreakers are a great option.
- After your ride, replenish your body with warm liquids or foods such as soup or chili. You earned it!
P3 Global Management (P3GM) owns and operates JerseyBike. P3GM is a global smart city development company that provides a gateway for next-generation technology companies to implement their solutions in cooperation with cities. Through public-private partnerships, P3GM integrates best-in-class technologies and solutions across the mobility, energy, telecommunications, and out-of-home media industries.